We tread lightly because we understand the responsibility we have to protect and preserve our heritage, our culture and local ecosystem.
Modelling good stewardship of the land and adopting appropriate behaviours is our corporate responsibility.
By example, Camp Somerset has the power to promote attitudinal change and empowerment of students to accept responsibility for the conservation of our natural and cultural environments.
In action, Camp Somerset has adopted the seven Leave No Trace principles as an important guiding tenet in all that what we do:
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Minimise campfire impacts
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of others
By advocating several more, Somerset outdoor Learning promotes positive outdoor ethics to heighten student’s sense of good stewardship:
- Educate yourself and others about the places you visit
- Take care of your equipment and clothing
- Make conscientious consumption choices
- Minimise waste production
- Reduce energy consumption
- Conserve and restore the places you visit